- Centre for Disability Studies »
- Prof. Patricia Noonan Walsh, National
University of Ireland, Dublin. The centre was established in 2002 with the appointment of
the NDA Chair in Disability Studies at the National University
of Ireland, Dublin. It is dedicated to the emerging field
of disability studies - the interdisciplinary and scholarly
exploration of all aspects of disability. Disability Studies
comprises three core themes: the history of disability; experiences
of disability; and an array of policy, social, rehabilitative
and other interventions.
- Disability Law and Policy Research Unit »
- Professor Gerard Quinn, National University
of Ireland, Galway. This is a research unit established in National University
of Ireland, Galway on international and comparative disability
law covering relevant developments within the United Nations,
the European Union and the Council of Europe.
- Developmental Disabilities & Child Health Research Group »
- Professor Roy McConkey, School of Nursing,
University of Ulster.
Development Disabilities and Child Research Group aims are to:
- Promote research into developmental disabilities and child
health within Northern Ireland.
- Forge alliances with practitioners and users primarily in
Health and Social Services Boards and Trusts, and the independent
sector but also in Education, Housing and Employment.
- Undertake joint projects with similar research groupings primarily
in Ireland and UK but also in North America and Europe.
- Initiate research projects that will inform the development
and organisation of services for people with disability and
- Respond to requests from agencies wishing to undertake research
and evaluation of services.
- Communicate the insights from research through training courses,
publications and workshops.
- Health Research Board »
- The Health Research Board (HRB) is a statutory
body that promotes, funds, commissions and conducts medical,
epidemiological and health services research in Ireland. The
Disability Databases Division in the HRB manages two national
service-planning databases for people with disabilities:
- National Intellectual Disability Database (NIDD).
- National Physical and Sensory Disability Database (NPSDD).